Thursday, October 17, 2013

Life Changes

It has been way too long!

It has been FOREVER since my last post, and quite a lot has changed in my life. First, I graduated from JSU with a degree in Communication - Print Journalism and a minor in English. I have moved to Florida and started my dream job as a youth pastor. I have been working at my church four about a year and a half, and I absolutely love it! This job is everything I could have ever hoped for and more. My students are so wonderful, I love my co-workers, and I finally feel like I am where I am supposed to be - which is quite a refreshing change since I didn't always feel that way about Jacksonville, especially after all my friends graduated and moved away.

I am living in a suburban town in Central Florida, and it is a great place to live. Even though Florida is in the South, it isn't the South. There are palm trees everywhere and it is hot all. the. time. Plus, it stays green year round - the leaves never change color! That part is horrible because fall is my favorite season and the changing leaves are so beautiful. But, there are lakes all over the place, and I really enjoy that. My town also has the most adorable downtown area with all kinds of little shops and restaurants, and I'm a sucker for a cute downtown - probably because it reminds me of where I grew up. The worst thing about where I currently live is that there are literally no people my age here, and those closest to my age are all married and having children. I have yet to meet one single girl in her mid twenties just living life to be friends with, so I have just thrown myself into work. It's a good thing I love it so much, or I'd probably be miserable.

I don't get to go home often at all, and I really hate that. I have missed a lot being gone. I never get to see my friends and family which has been really hard. I feel left out of everything that is happening with my loved ones, and that has been the hardest part because since I don't have any friends here, they're all I've got. I miss Georgia so much it honestly hurts if I think about it too much. I hope I get to live at home again one day.

The only thing that makes being away from home worth it is knowing that I'm doing what God has called me to do. I have felt a call to youth ministry since I was in sixth grade (that is a post for another day), and I'm happy to finally be doing what I know I'm meant to do. I have had a lot to learn, but God has been so good to me and surrounded me with a church family that is patient, loving, and so very encouraging.

As hard as it is being away from my friends and family and not having any friends here my age, I would be hard pressed to find a job that is better than the one I have. I know I have griped a bit in this post, but I honestly feel very lucky to not only have a job, but one that I love. There is no better feeling than knowing you are doing what you're supposed to be doing with your life and having a job that doesn't feel like work because you enjoy it so much.

I want to start blogging more regularly, at least once a week, so be looking for more posts to come!

Psalm 57:2
"I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills His purpose for me."

1 comment: